Skip links



Headford (Irish: Áth Cinn meaning “the ford of the headland”) is a town in County Galway, located 26 km north of Galway city in the west of Ireland. It is an angling centre for the eastern shore of Lough Corrib. Greenfields, 6.5 km west of the town, is its boating harbour.

Headford is situated next to the Black River (noted also for its trout angling), which is the county boundary with Mayo. Located on the N84 national secondary road from Galway to Castlebar and the R333, and R334 regional roads the town is a commuter town to Galway City. The town is the centre of an area which contains a number of prehistoric burial cairns, Iron Age stone enclosures, early Norman and later castles, and several monastic sites. These include Ross Errilly Friary, founded in 1351, which is one of the best preserved monastic ruins of its period in Ireland.

According to Central Statistics Office census of 2016, there were 973 people living in Headford in April 2016. That same year was established the Headford Lace Project, a voluntary community initiative established to research, revive, and reimagine the lacemaking heritage of Headford whose lace industry dates back over 250 years. They offer workshops, demonstrations, community collaborations, and events. The Workers Cottages, also known locally as the Lacemakers Cottages, can be seen on New Street.

Other places to see in the area include Ballycurrin Lighthouse and the remains of Headford Castle.

More information at :

Annual Events