Seachtain Oidhreachta Naisiúnta / National Heritage Week 2021
The event is upon us and there are many exciting events and projects taking place. We have two registered project ourselves.
The first is a virtual heritage tour where we will be sharing daily on the JCWL geopark project facebook page some of our videos prepared for the conference in June.
The second is an in-person event called “Ask your Geologist” taking place on the car park of the project office in Tourmakeady (beside the playground) on Wednesday the 18th from 2 to 4pm. Our geologist(s) will be there to answer all your question and display our collection of local rocks and fossils. And there will be a fossil hunt as well. Check out more here: https://www.heritageweek.ie/…/ask-your-geologist…
Other events/projects organised in the region:
- Féile na Sléibhte; taking place this weekend from Friday 13 to Sunday 15 evening (see programme 在此). This festival is organised by the communities of Maam, Finny, Corr na Móna, Cloghbrack and Clonbur with the help of CDS Teo. Part of it is a geological walk in Finny on Saturday from 1pm organised by the Joyce Country and Western Lakes GeoEnterprise and focusing both on the Geology and the Bronze Age features of the area (https://www.heritageweek.ie/projects/bronze-age-experience-near-finny-and-lough-nafooey). Trish Walsh and Christy Lawless will lead the walk and there will be performances from local musicians Riona Conaboy and Seán Finn. A video of the walk will be premiered on Thursday the 19th at 7pm at https://youtu.be/KB0hkOyu0Lo.
- From foraging to farming (https://www.heritageweek.ie/proj…/from-foraging-to-farming), a continuation of Bill Daly’s project from last year on the Mesolithic archaeology of the Oughterard area. Oughterard Heritage
- The Marl Crust of Lough Carra (https://www.heritageweek.ie/…/the-marl-crusts…). Video to be released on Sunday 22nd of August. Lough Carra
- The Natural and Cultural Heritage of Lough Carra (https://www.heritageweek.ie/…/the-natural-and-cultural…). Video to be released on Sunday 22nd of August.
- Histories, Myths and Tall Tales from Kylemore Abbey (https://www.heritageweek.ie/…/histories-myth-and-tall…). 1 podcast a day during Heritage Week. Kylemore Abbey
- Wildlife on your doorsteps (https://www.heritageweek.ie/…/heritage-on-your-doorstep…). In-person event at Morley’s Garden Centre in Ballinrobe on the 18th from 2:30 to 3:30pm. Morleys Garden Centre ballinrobe
- Heritage and Handball event (https://www.heritageweek.ie/projects/a-handball-heritage-revival-and-fun-event) at The Neale Handball court on Sat 21st of August from 5 to 8pm with exhibition matches and children’s handball games.
- The Annie Woods Collection -Lecture Series (https://www.heritageweek.ie/projects/the-annie-woods-collection-lecture-series) where an online lecture by Norma Owens of the Headford Lace Project will be posted online on Sat 21st from 1 to 2pm.
Share away to your network and friends !