Skip links

ATTRACTION

OUGHTERARD, CO GALWAY

Oughterard (Irish: Uachtar Ard, meaning “the height on the upper side of the river”) is a small town on the banks of the Owenriff River close to the western shore of Lough Corrib in County Galway.

Oughterard (Irish: Uachtar Ard, meaning “the height on the upper side of the river”) is a small town on the banks of the Owenriff River close to the western shore of Lough Corrib in County Galway. The population of the town in 2006 was 1,305. Located 26 km northwest of Galway on the N59 road, Oughterard is the chief angling centre on Lough Corrib, and is also known as the ‘Gateway to Connemara’ as it is on the border of Connemara.

Three kilometres outside the town stand the ruins of Aughnanure Castle, a well-preserved example of a Norman tower house. Much of the surrounding area was occupied by the O’Flaherty clan, but was taken over by Walter de Burgh, 1st Earl of Ulster, in 1256. Ross Castle is also located a few kilometres outside Oughterard. The mansion, which is visible today, was built by the Martin family in the 17th century but there is some evidence still present of the original castle structure, built in the 15th century by the O’Flaherty family, in its foundation (see https://vimeo.com/72311211 for more information). There is also a golf course within the grounds of Ross Castle.

The ‘Quiet Man Bridge’ is located 8 kilometres past Oughterard, down the Leam Road, which was the setting for the 1950s film The Quiet Man starring John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara.

Also close to Oughterard, the Glengowla Mines (abandoned in 1865) are noted for their rare octahedral crystals of fluorite and quartz. They are now accessible through guided tours.

Oughterard railway station opened on 1 January 1895 and closed on 29 April 1935. There are daily buses going from and to Galway and Clifden along the N59.

More information at: http://www.discoveroughterard.com/

http://www.oughterardheritage.org/

Annual Events

 

EN